Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bare Feet

Growing up in a small town, I was blessed with the vast outdoors. I thought myself a modern day Pocahontas in a flower print dress( I refused to wear anything but dresses as a child, but my mom couldn't torture me into putting shoes on my feet ), and trying to have conversations with the animals around me was a regular pastime of mine. Needless to say, my fondest memories are of running barefoot in the beauty of wide open spaces-venturing to find the nearest bird to befriend.
I was free.

Completely Free.


Now that I am grown, that same feeling still comes back to me. Although my feet are usually in the latest high heel and my surroundings have changed to the urban, my heart belongs to the wild outdoors. I can still kick off my heels and find joy in what God has given us in nature: and have found the best places in Dallas for doing just that.

So take off your shoes and come with me.


1. White Rock Lake


Go on a Saturday morning walk here, or a late afternoon Kayak trip. Forget the busy and take a break.


2. The Parks of Park Cities


Yes, there is a reason it is called the Park Cities. Tucked away in most of the neighborhoods, there lies a haven of land that has not been stuffed with enormous homes. Try Williams Park to start off, it's a gem.




3. Trinity River Audubon Center

This is 8 minutes from downtown, and has 4 miles of nature trails on 6,000 acres. Get out of the city in just a few minutes and feel as if you are a world away.



4.The Arboretum

Breathtaking- and right at our fingertips. Flowers, Gardens, fountains...ahhhh.


Get out. Soak up the sun and let go.
Be Free.